We began this month with a wonderful Independence Day weekend at Tober. Though it's not the same without my parents there, we had a blast! It was absolutely beautiful and the kids loved exploring.
We went on hikes,
played outside,
relaxed,
enjoyed the swing,
did some painting,
and climbed to our heart's content. (Boyd & Smith love stairs and I love that we don't have them at home!)
Elias and I have great memories there, but it was impossible not to notice how much more work it took with three kids. I still think it was worth the work. They had a great time!
On the way home we stopped in Alamosa to attend church and when heading back to the car, Summer darted off into a field full of sprinklers. It was pretty darling to watch her run with such glee. In fact, Elias just had to join her because the moment was so perfect. They had so much fun.
But then it was time to finish our drive home, so I called them back to the car and started looking for dry clothes for Summer. Little did I know, she had headed out for a Round Two. Totally naked.
So often trips involve trying to keep kids clean while we eat on the go, so we've kind of started a tradition that when we get home from a big trip, we strip the boys down and let them eat spaghetti all on their own. They absolutely love it!
Why not have one last hurrah, before we wash all those miles of anyway, right?
Just two days later, Elias had to travel to Canada for a week so the kids and I drove the four hours north to Pueblo to visit some friends that used to live here in Santa Fe.
The kids were awesome at the hotel.
And we had a blast with our friends.
Nikki is such an amazing mother and our kids get along great. Summer and David are a riot together.
The day after we drove home, Elias and I over-lapped for an hour once he arrived home from Canada before I left for Utah.
I was able to fly to Utah all by myself for a girls weekend with my best friends from college. Everyone else was bringing their families, so I was sad that mine couldn't join me, but it wasn't lost on me how rare the opportunity was, so I lived it up!
Seriously, I can't express how wonderful those 48 hours were! I had so much fun! I absolutely love those girls and we had so much fun catching up. I loved getting their advice on womanhood, motherhood, and the gospel. They are such amazing individuals. And look at all their cute kids!
Laura and her family were nice enough to host us and it couldn't have been more perfect! We all had a blast. I feel like that weekend added five years to my life; it was so refreshing. Thank you for everything Double or Nothin'! I love you girls!
And of course, the kids had a ball with Daddy all weekend. Elias is so amazing. I love him so much. Thank you for that weekend.
The rest of the month was filled with wonderful summertime adventures of toddlerhood. Including:
pool time,
building forts,
water fun,
shopping adventures,
reading,
hide and seek,
watching rainstorms,
dress-up,
visits to the children's museum,
painting,
library storytime,
and...first steps!!!
They boys have both taken their first few steps. Smith is very cautious and Boyd just wants to run.
Smith is such a sweetheart; I can't express how tender his little cuddles make me and he is so patient with his siblings. He isn't so much interested in walking as he is climbing. He can climb into anything,
but his absolute favorite place is on top of his daddy. After work, Elias will just lie on the floor and the kids climb all over him in pure delight. Smith's has this "awe, shucks" laugh that just makes me want to never let him go.
Smith also loves to read. He and Summer could sit there for hours just listening to one book after another.
Boyd on the other hand, is just starting to believe that books may have more to offer than just something to destroy.
He is our little action man. His one speed is fast, and his one volume is loud. Every once in a while he will surprise us with a cuddle and it melts my heart in an instant.
I am so grateful that he is almost always happy because when Boyd is mad...he is LIVID. But the sound of his "busting-a-gut, life-couldn't-get-any-better, I'm-on-the-top-of-the-world" laughter feels like it could burst a rainbow into diamonds. So...that's pretty awesome. And he likes keeping tabs on his siblings. Again, Smith is so patient!
Summer has developed a love for travel and packs for a trip multiple times a week. She loves helping Boyd and Smith and is so quick to try to make them feel better if they are sad.
She has pulled out some awesome one-liners this month. She is often telling me "don't worry" or "I love Jesus". One day she pushed Smith down and when I asked her why, she looked me straight in the eye and said, "I just being wicked Mom." (She loves reading the scriptures.) She has a heart of gold and such a strong desire to be good. She loves crafts, dancing, and pretending she's a princess, but she REALLY loves Daddy. If I put her to bed before he gets home, she is quick to sneak out as soon as she hears him.
One day a friend gave us some shoes for Summer since her daughter had grown out of them. Unfortunately they are still a little big, but Summer was so excited to wear them that she immediately disappeared when we arrived home. I found her in bed and asked why she was there. She responded, "I'm going to sleep so I get big, so I can wear my new shoes." She came out a few minutes later. "I'm big! Where are my shoes?"
This month we also enjoyed Elias' company get-together.
Summer especially was in heaven.
And I just had to document my little feeding station one last time. Summer is getting big enough that she eats a lot of her meals at the counter, but this scene will always hold a special place in my heart.
My three little kiddos, eating side by side. I pull up a chair in front of them and hand out food while we all talk and laugh! I love these guys!
Here's a little video of the boys:
We love you all and hope things are going well for you and yours!
Love always,
Elias, Brittany, Summer, Boyd & Smith


































5 comments:
I have to admit that the first week of each month I check your blot to see if you'e updated yet. You have a wonderful family. Hopefully we'll see you soon! Love you guys!
So many things about this made me smile. Summer getting big over one nap is pure gold. And her smile...to die for. My favorite pic is the dress up one, because her expression is like she doesn't know how to tell you that you look awkward:)
Hooray for first steps! So fun! Great recap as always! It was so wonderful to see you! I hope to be able to meet your boys someday soon and see that cute Summer too. She's a smart one, getting sleep so she can grow!
You guys are amazing!
I can't believe it has taken me so long to read up on your blog! It is so inspiring, funny, exciting, true life and I love it!! I miss you like crazy! xoxox
Post a Comment