Dear friend,
This month began in Denver. Elias had to go up there to take an industry exam so the kids and I joined him. We stayed at my parents condo, and with them in Alaska it sure felt empty. On multiple occasions Summer pulled "her" chair up to the window and yelled "Nana...Grandpa Peter...come home!"
Grocery shopping in Denver reminded me what kid-friendly places have to offer. Carts like this for one thing! It was a dream not to have to push my stroller while pulling my cart behind me, and the kids loved it. I have yet to find a place in Santa Fe that has these.
Secondly, splash pads! Santa Fe doesn't have a single splash pad, but my parents live within walking distance to one of the coolest splash pads ever, so we lived it up!
Elias was studying for his test the entire time, but that didn't slow me and the kids down. We strolled around the shops (you should see the looks I get when I walk into a store pushing a double stroller with another kid on my back), tried on some jewels,
met up with dear friends,
and had lunch lunch with others. It is always so fun to see my friends from high school and learn mothering tricks from them. They are amazing!
Elias passed the exam, we drove the six hours back to Santa Fe, and then something incredible happened! I can't explain it, but pulling into the city and then into our driveway, it just felt like home! I don't know how, or what changed, but it's like we are just now are coming up for air, the sun is shining and we are home! The rest of the month was jam-packed with beautiful moments at home. Our home.
One day we were headed out for a walk and Summer surprised me in a new spot.
Our ward hosted a family camp-out one weekend. Elias took Summer up on Friday night and they had a ball! She couldn't stop talking about sleeping in a tent and cooking marshmallows.
The boys and I joined them on Saturday morning to enjoy breakfast and the beautiful sights.
Our days were filled with picnics with Daddy at the park,
cooking adventures with kids,
trips to the children's museum (not so thrilled about their new face-painting exhibit),
and to the temple,
dinners with friends (one of whom's daughter handed Elias this note-so cute!),
mommy playdates,
big-girl playdates,
and double-trouble fun!
On June 11th these two handsome guys turned one! I can't believe it has already been a year. And yet, I think this year has aged me 10 years. I feel so much older, and by that I mean more tired. So tired! Tired, but happy! I can't even express how much joy these boys have brought into our lives.
Smith is our little sweetheart. His smile is so delightful and he is so patient. When Summer, or other older kids play with the boys, Boyd gets frustrated quickly but Smith just laughs and sweetly endures the bumps and annoyances that come with it. And while all the kids enjoy a good dance party every now and then, Smith is our music man. When he hears a beat he can't help but bounce along. He dances like a sweet little thug!
He absolutely loves books. When we are all playing in the living room, it isn't uncommon that he will crawl over to the book corner and start flipping through pages all by himself.
Smith is the king of climbing. He loves to climb on or in anything and he is really good at it. He thinks things through and can get himself out of any situation. While Boyd on the other hand, follows him into a predicament only to cry when he discovers that he can't get out of it.
As much as Smith loves to climb and crawl, he likes to do it on his own terms. He has never enjoyed being swung around or tossed into the air. He gives you this pitiful smile that says, "I want to enjoy this because I know you want me to, but I'm going to lose my lunch". He loves peek-a-boo and hide-and-seek.
Boyd on the other hand, has a chase-me-faster, throw-me-higher, tickle-me harder personality. He is pretty much always up for playing rough and has sent Summer crying to Mommy a few times. He will be mid-belly laugh and then rip out a handful of your hair.
He loves to explore, but is wary of strangers. And while Smith will think things through, Boyd will just push harder until he can plow his way through. As far as Boyd is concerned, books are just for eating.
He has quite the sense of humor. He knows certain things that he is not allowed to do and he often only enjoys doing them if Elias or I am watching. He will climb up onto the printer and then wait for my attention before pushing every button and pulling the cords in a laughing frenzy.
I can't imagine my life without the sound of Boyd's laughter. He is such a happy kid (and a bit crazy when he gets mad)! We are so grateful for these two boys and look forward to many more wonderful years with them!
We were also happy to celebrate Father's Day this month. These guys have the best daddy in the world.
This month's letter wouldn't be complete without a few bathroom shots! The boys have become obsessed with the bathroom lately and with Summer using the big-girl potty, it is a constant struggle to keep them out of there. One or the other can turn everything into danger. Boyd flushes the toilet constantly, sucks on the toilet knobs, and flips himself over and into the tub. Smith traps his fingers in the drawers, unravels all the toilet paper, and opens the toilet to splash to his heart's content.
With the threat of sharing too much information, I just have to share a not-so-uncommon experience of being trapped in the bathroom. Last week it appeared all the children were safely playing in the playroom so I slipped out to use the restroom in private. It seemed the moment I got to the point of no return, all three little ones clambered into the bathroom. Within seconds, Smith had unraveled the entire roll of toilet paper and pushed it out of my reach, Summer had climbed in the tub and turned on the water, and Boyd had flushed the toilet while I was still on it (which, if you don't know-I think is absolutely disgusting and I fear automatic toilets just for that reason). A moment later I found myself holding Boyd on my lap to prevent him from doing a head-dive into the tub, while defensively covering the rest of toilet hole with my legs as Smith fought to stick his hands in anywhere he could. There was a minute or two when I was quite sure I would be stuck there until Elias got home three hours later. Luckily, with the help of my sopping wet sidekick, I prevailed.
Summer loves being the big sister and is a great helper. She is by my side all day until Daddy walks in the door. And while she loves sitting on my lap, she has also become quite independent. I find her in all kinds of places: reading the scriptures (we just got the picture version and Summer is fascinated by the stories "cut off all the arms...he died...fighting with swords..."),
driving the car,
and completely naked on the patio.
She absolutely loves her brothers, but she loves rough. It goes from this
to this in seconds.
Each morning we discuss what we want/need to do that day. One day she announced that she would like to throw a party so we did just that and we were all ready for when Daddy walked through the door.
Our Relief Society and Young Women had a World Cup soccer event and she was my little buddy out on the field.
Our best purchase of the month was a $12 kiddie pool. It is delightful and we use it multiple times a week.
One of my favorite activities from this month was going on a double date with our friends to the Santa Fe Opera. It's kind of a huge deal here; it's an outdoor theater in a beautiful area and everyone tailgates before the show. Our friend Emilee is second in command over costumes so she hooked us up took us to "Don Pasquale". It was so much fun and only got better as she took us backstage after the show and showed us her domain!
All in all, June was really good to the Ericksons. It's as though the hardest part of the move/twins/adapting to Elias' job, is behind us and now life is taking off. I hope this month went well for you and yours. We love you all and think of you often.
Always,
Elias, Brittany, Summer, Boyd & Smith

































3 comments:
i'm sitting in my cubicle DYING. oh my gosh, that is the best story in the history of bathroom stories. i absolutely cannot wait for next weekend. i'm so sad we won't get to enjoy these three little gems, but it will be so great to see you! xox
I'm with Mary! That bathroom story had me giggling so much! What an adventurous month for the Ericksons! So good to talk to you the other day! Keep these adventures coming:) xo
Always look forward to reading your posts and so happy that you guys are feeling settled. Can't wait to come visit, looks like you have a wonderful home.
Post a Comment