May 2014

Dear friend,

What a month!  We were able to see so many dear friends and family members.  The month began with a great visit from Elias' brother Davis and his family.    We enjoyed a beautiful hike through the mountains of Santa Fe, 
a picnic at a park, 
church, and adventures at home.  We also grilled in the backyard where the boys experienced their first corn on the cob.  Needless to say, it was a hit with both Smith


 and Boyd.

 Elias had a conference in Boston, so I loaded up the kids and we spent a week out there.  How is it traveling with three little ones, you ask?  Wild, wonderful, crazy, and a huge gamble.  Especially when the entire journey starts off with a 3 hour delay at the airport, only to have our flight cancelled, and then be sent home to come back the next day.  It's okay - we just took all the kids to enjoy dinner at Chipotle before driving the hour back to Santa Fe!
 They really are great little travelers, but because I know that Elias and I will look back at this time of life and wonder how we did it, I'm going to document our little secrets.  
1. The Wonder Bag: The baby bag becomes our wonder bag. I am meticulous about packing it so we can access any of our tricks or treats right on command.  It has treats, games, fully-charged itouch and phones, wipes, diapers, and a change of clothes for everyone.
2. Sure Bets: Every kid has a sure bet & the tricks is to find out what they are.  A sure bet, that no matter how sad, how hurt (to a reasonable extent), or how tired they are, it will grab their attention and keep them quiet.  Summer's is a dum-dum sucker (I love these - they have less sugar and take longer to eat than a pack of fruit snacks), and for Boyd & Smith it is grapes.  
3. Entertainment tricks: For Summer we can get by with four small tricks that can easily fit in our bag: silly putty (she loves this stuff), stickers (I'll just surprise her with a new sheet of stickers and a piece of paper and I know it will buy me 10 minutes), "Fancy Nancy" phonics book (she could read books all day, and she absolutely loves Fancy Nancy, so when I found a phonics book that consisted of 15 short Fancy Nancy stories I had to get it & so far it has only come out on trips so it is still a novelty...seriously - worth it's weight in gold!) and an itouch (we haven't found a need for a tablet, so she doesn't know anything bigger than an itouch screen.  It's small & easy to bring along.  We downloaded 3 PBS shows a year ago and are still using those. I know, it's time for some new ones.)  For Boyd & Smith it is my phone (they love to look at pictures and videos of themselves), a gaudy necklace or peek-a-boo. 
4. Cuddle blankets: Summer gave up her blanket around 18 months, but we reintroduced it a few months ago (mostly so we could threaten to take it away if she got out of bed), but it has been great for traveling.  All three children have a small cuddle blanket; we only pull it out when it is time to sleep or relax and it is associated with sleep and comfort for each of them.  Whether they are in the car, on the plane, or in the stroller, we can pull those out and they all nestle in and close their eyes.  
5. Other plane secrets: always have the kids suck on something when they are pressurizing the cabin, take-off, and landing (whether it's a bottle, pacifier, or sucker).  Dress your kids in something comfortable, yet nice and make sure their hair is done (like to admit it or not, the average stranger is nicer to a cute kid).  Don't get fooled into ordering a drink--it will most definitely spill.  Have a water bottle ready for yourself.  If your kids insist on a drink, have it poured right into their sippy cup.  
6. Pack smart: we have never paid to check luggage.  Three carry-ons is pretty much all we can carry while pushing our three kids, two pack and plays, and one baby bag up to the check-in counter.  So we just check our car seats and pack and plays for free and then carry our bags to the gate (luckily they still usually let us bring the stroller so we just load them on there).  Since it is pretty much always a small plane leaving ABQ, our trick is to be one of the last ones to board.  By that time the overhead space is always full so they just check our "carry-ons" for free to our final destination.
7. Hotel rooms: The boys are at an age where they need their own crib & we have always been able to fit two in our room.  Though we don't use them at home, I utilize the black-out curtains a white noise machine.  Other than that, I try to make bedtime and nap time the same as at home.  I will put the boys down and then Summer & I hang out in the hall or bathroom for 10 minutes until the boys are asleep.  Getting Summer to sleep on vacation is difficult, but the fight for both naps and bedtime are worth it. I've found that reading a book by the light of my phone light, and then laying down next to her and falling to sleep is the best way.  She loves snuggling in next to me and nothing says "bedtime" like Mommy falling asleep in the dark.  I know every kid is different, but it works for her, and I figure-traveling with 3 kids-I could probably use a nap.  My body wakes me up when I'm ready and I try to get as much done either before they wake up or before I turn in for the night.  Elias and I will bring a laptop and headphones to use the room after bedtime.  
8. Other travel secrets: yes, we can fit three car seats in the back of a standard sudan.  Ikea bibs are our only hope of feeding toddlers on the run without ruining an entire outfit.  Set yourself up to succeed when possible; when scheduling a flight, meeting up with friends, going out to dinner, always consider your kids schedule.  
Summer always insists on sitting next to Elias and since there can only be one baby per row, he has to play double duty and I sit behind him.  I somehow always luck out get my lap child to go to sleep or sit next to a baby hungry grandma that wants to hold him.  


Okay, I know that probably wasn't interesting to most people, but seeing as we don't really keep a journal, I thought Elias & I would find that interesting in a few years.  

Boston was a ton of fun!  The kids and I explored the city as Elias was busy with his conference.  The weather was beautiful and we had a blast!  We visited some dear friends
and enjoyed time with Gram & Grandpa Erickson
Elias' parents live 45 minutes outside of Boston so we spent the weekend at their home and had a ball!
We enjoyed time in their backyard
 
went to the park
saw cousins
went to a fair
got our faces painted
played in a bounce house
and rode in the canoe in their backyard.
Kevin & Jeannie were nice enough to take the kids one evening so Elias & I could go out on a date.  We had so much fun!  I love him!  I visited him back in Boston eight years ago when we were dating and he took me to a park that he grew up running through.  We went back to that park for a little walk before dinner.  Once again, I had to laugh at the historic charm of the little town Elias grew up in!  
But it was fun to go back to that same park and reminisce about the first time we were there together!  And dinner was delicious!  The kids of course had a great time going on an adventure with Gram & Grandpa.  They went to Sam's Club
and to a restaurant "with a crown" (Summer wore that crown for 36 hours straight).  
Summer was kind of on a princess kick this month.  It started when her friend/hero Claire Tanner came to visit last month and introduced her to all things princess.  Her fascination then turned from castles and princess dresses to temples and wedding dresses as we talking about Chelsea and Taylor's wedding.  Over Memorial Day weekend we went out to Utah for the occasion.  Summer was so excited about her "wedding dress" that she was telling random strangers about it at the airport.  

Friday I was able to help with the wedding prep and that night my mom, Stephanie, and I were able to treat Chelsea to a little bachlorette party.  (We missed you Corie!)  We got pedicures and then went out to dinner and gave her more advice that she ever could have wanted.  Carter & Elias we all-stars to watch the kids.  I love those guys.  
 The next day was absolutely beautiful in every way!  They were married in Logan and I was constantly in awe with how breath-taking the views were.  
It was perfect weather and that temple is gorgeous.  
They are such a beautiful couple and it is so fun to see my sister so happy!  She wore my mom's wedding dress and looked absolutely stunning.  She was nice/crazy enough to let me and Corie help her get ready that morning and go with her while they took pictures.  I'm sure we were so obnoxious, but it was so much fun!  Welcome to the family Taylor!  You are one lucky guy.  
Summer was on cloud nine all day as she wore her "wedding dress" with her cousins.
She had a perma-smile all day! 
 Many thanks to Chelsea's friends for watching the kiddos during the sealing.  It was a beautiful event!
Here's a little surprise video we made for Chelsea & Taylor that we showed at the reception.  
Just two hours after the reception ended, our Christensen family reunion began.   
 We of course enjoyed the family olympics
and the dance party. 
 Summer especially loved the dance party!
It was so fun to catch up with all of my cousins! 
 My grandma passed away just over a year ago, and we all enjoyed the 1/2 mile walk to the cemetery to see her headstone and say a prayer together.  She was such a wonderful lady and I am so grateful that we can be together forever!
 The kids were awesome at the hotel and it was so fun that our room was right next to all of my siblings' so the adults could hang out after putting the kids down.  
 We were even able to meet up with the Lundeens for lunch on the way to the airport!  They are such great friends!
It couldn't have been a more enjoyable trip.  I love my family!  And after so many meals of trying to keep the boys clean, we treated them to a "strip-down spaghetti dinner".  Smith was so grateful! 
These little boys are growing up so quickly.  They are crawling all around the house and climbing on everything!
A few months ago I did a side-by-side comparison of me and Summer.  Here is one for Elias & the boys.  Yeah, we don't really know where Boyd gets his looks, but he sure is handsome!  

And Summer Girl is keeping us busy!  She has so much personality!
 
We love you all & hope you are enjoying your summer!  Drop us a line sometime.  Or better yet, just drop by and visit!

Love always,
Elias, Brittany, Summer, Boyd & Smith

5 comments:

Laura said...

It looks amazing! I love your travel tips! Brilliant! Sounds like you have everything under control. :) And you keep it real too. I'm sure sad I won't get to meet your boys when you visit, but I'm so excited for you for the little break you'll get. ;)

Hksedwick said...

The travel tips=ah-mahzing

Hksedwick said...

Also, Chelsea and your family pic...so cute. Next month do a pic of carter as a baby with the boys because I think Boyd reminds me of carter

big MAK said...

What a busy month! Such fun adventures and your travel tips were extremely helpful although you missed one important tip- be an amazing mom like Brittany :) We miss you guys and hope to see you sometime soon!!

amanda said...

Yeah, seriously, love the travel tips! I'm going to Utah with Remie in August and I liked the idea of having them suck on something during take-off/landing! Super smart! You guys look great! Love all the adventures:) xoxox