January 2024

 Dear friend, 

2024 is off to a great start!

Summer was in her first middle school musical.  She was a "church choir member" in "Footloose".  She decided that it was a good experience but that theater isn't really her thing.    

She continues to work hard on swim team and is preparing for regionals next month.  My friend coordinated a polar plunge on New Year's Day and Summer was brave enough to join me and Elias in the experience.  

She is finding her groove in middle school; she takes her academics seriously and is trying to find a friend group she feels comfortable around.  She has been gracious about our no-cell phone policy and is the most level-headed middle schooler I know.  She is beautiful and thoughtful and likes her downtime.  Her best friend right now is probably Phaedra Broadbent.  She has a really good friend group at church and finds respite at the activities.  She was just called as class president for the younger group in Young Women.  

Joy is a delight.  She really wanted to make a skirt and was so proud of this floral skirt she made when she finally finished it.  She always has a song in her heart and is often dancing, singing, or preparing "a big show".  Sometimes she does get mad and confuses us all.  
She loves to bake and can often talk Dad into creating some real culinary masterpieces with her.  Their lobster tails this month were delicious!  
She has shown so much improvement in her writing and math and she loves a party.  She will often ask what she can do to earn a party.  This month she threw an epic one.  Here was her invitation: 

They of course had a blast.  
Smith is a riot.  He's such a sweet kid.  He will often get an idea for a project in his head and won't let it go until he's done it.  This month is was making Harry Potter's butterbeer.  He loves riding the motorbikes over in Baker Field.  He created his own coded alphabet that is very cool.  He doesn't worry much about how he looks during the school week, but he likes to look sharp at church.  (It must be working because there are a few girls at church who are quite twiterpated over him.). He is looking to buy a new suit and is taking it very seriously.  He likes looking at different options of products, reading the reviews, and making very informed decisions before buying something.  
Boyd has taken a lot of pride in his writing.  He has a strong voice in his writing and is very thoughtful. This is a segment of his latest essay.  
He has also become quite the origami professional.  His primary teacher has asked him to make various scenes from the Book of Mormon.  This is Nephi, but my favorite one was his boat and the liahona.  He is diligent with his homework and piano practice and loves his quiet time.  
The girls love it when they can get Boyd to play with them because he turn their simple fort into something amazing.  
Boyd and Smith have both been pouring over Calvin and Hobbs comics this month.  
Rosie continues to crack us up.  She has a lot of big ideas and asks questions to everyone she meets.  
She still adores her father and will do anything for a good snuggle and to have a book read to her.  
She has shown so much improvement with her academics.  Her teacher called one day to tell me that sometimes Rose doesn't want to do what the class is doing so she just refuses to join in.  It's become a problem so lately the teacher has asked Rose to step into the hallway until she is ready to rejoin the class.  That day, Rose didn't want to do the assigned task, so she pushed back her chair, threw up her hands, and yelled, "I'm not doing this.  I don't want to.  I'm going out in the hall instead.  Who's coming with me?"  The teacher said that when half the class got up and started following Rose out into the hall, she had to step in and stop the insurrection.  
Elias was going to take the three big kids on an epic winter adventure but Boyd ended up getting a concussion (he tripped getting out of the car and landed on his head; he's fine) so we postponed the trip.  Elias made lemonade out of lemons and camped out with everyone else in the backyard when it was 14 degrees outside.  (I stayed inside with Boyd.)
Elias is a real dreamboat.  It's fun to watch him as a bishop.  He totally slayed it as Father Lehi at the Primary Pancake Brunch. 
He hosted a birthday party for John Juene and his friends from the single's ward.  
He is the steady rock and stabling love for all of us.  I'm so grateful to have him in my life.  
I'm doing well.  I've got a few good friends and the best husband ever.  I continue to go to the bootcamp at 5:30a.m. on M,W,F that I have been going to for a few years now, and I try to make it to a yoga class on T,Th,S.  I'm involved with the PTA and still volunteering as a death doula through the local hospice.  My bees are still alive and I'm getting ready for the spring.  I'm preparing our family trips and looking forward to those.  
Love you all, 
Brittany et al. 

No comments: