August 2019

Dear friend,

I will forever love August 2019. 
These kiddos are great travelers (except for Rose on the plane) and we enjoyed two delicious weeks in Colorado.  
Tober is still our happy place as a family.  
We absolutely loved the Erickson family reunion!  Many thanks to Gram and Grandpa for all the love and thought they put into the event.  
As an added bonus we got to spend a couple days with my parents as well as meet our newest little cousin Callie!  Congrats Hannah!
Elias was able to enjoy a few mountain runs.  One experience I did want to document...Elias headed off on a run one afternoon while my dad took the four big kids out on a tractor adventure.  I was inside with my mom and Rose when 45 minutes later my dad rushed in with Joy in his arms.  There had been an accident and the tractor bucket had come down, scraping Joy's ankle and flattening her shoe.  Amazingly, she only lost skin and other than a huge bruise she was totally fine.  She was a mere inch from losing her ankle.  Elias came home a few hours later, and the first thing he asked was whether there had been an accident with the tractor.  Come to find out, 45 minutes after his departure, he had the distinct impression to pray for the kids' safety on the tractor.  He dropped to his knees and expressed his love and concern for the kids.  I've pondered a lot on this experience; wondering why the Lord involved Elias even though he was far away.  I'm humbled by how aware the Lord is of us at all times.  
My parents and dear sister Hannah watched the kiddos so Elias and I could celebrate my birthday.  We enjoyed a ropes course in the mountains and dinner out on the town.  Watch out 35. 
We soaked up the last few weeks of summer with Activity Days, a trip to the temple, dinosaur museum, library for the blind, donut shops and more!  Smith continues to eat his weight in fruit; he took out 3/4 of this Costco container of blueberries in five minutes.  And I found a geode!  After years of searching I finally found one.  It may have been at a store instead of the mountains, but I still love the symbolism and beauty of the geode.
The kids continue to crack me up (and wear me out).  We've had a few reverence training sessions and I'll be honest and say I don't think we're getting any better.  
One day we invited a bunch of friends over for peach jam making and a water party.  
Elias and I continue to try to develop our souls.  We came across this quote in our readings one night and I've been thinking a lot about it.  I guess I want to document it should my kids be looking at this in 10 years.  
Elias continues to be my favorite!  (It's he so cute in this picture!)  We got to meet up with some friends in the city and I just adored our time together. 
But some of my favorite moments come in the mundane times.  Once as we headed up to bed we discovered that the kids had destroyed our bed.  I plopped down anyway while Elias tried to remake it.  I'm not kidding, he looked like a blanket monster for the next 30 seconds.  It was like he couldn't figure out where the blanket began and ended; I was laughing so hard I was crying.  He just makes life more manageable.  More enjoyable.  He inspires me to be a better person and loves me fiercely despite my faults.  Through him I better understand how God loves me.  I can't imagine life without him.  
Since Corie moved out to Maryland, the kids and I snuck in a quick trip to see her and the family.  As always, she was an amazing host and the kids and I had a blast.  Going to the Hawks home is like going to resort; all the fun you can imagine right at your fingertips.  
As we came home (speaking of which, the drive went great, both ways we drove straight though and even though Smith had to pee in a cup, he didn't spill a drop), Smith expressed the desire to make a piñata for the back-to-school party.  So I helped the big kids all make a paper mache piñata (why Smith climbed into the paper mache bowl I will never understand).  Elias helped Joy make one out of cereal box.  
Haircuts, blessings, goal setting, and then it was time to party!  The party was a hit and they all destroyed a piñata.  Even better, they all got on the bus the next day!  It was looking chancy there for a bit and I definitely dodged behind a hedge the moment they stepped toward the bus, but they did it!  Other parents confirmed...they all got on the bus!
I'm so proud of these kiddos.  Summer is in second grade, Boyd and Smith are in first and Joy is in preschool.  Here come the Ericksons.  
Love you all,
Brittany et al.


No comments: