July 2019

Dear friend,

July was the perfect mixture of relaxing days of imagination and epic adventures.  We had days of ninjas, swimming, wrestling with Daddy and one-on-one time with Mommy.
This was our first Independence Day spent here in Darien and it couldn't have been more charming.  We loved the kids parade and enjoyed two convenient nights of fireworks; one on the beach which was a slice of heaven.  

The kids and I enjoyed excursions to the beach, the zoo, the children's museum and to various nature centers and farms to go peach picking and blueberry picking.  
We also enjoyed some epic summer rainstorms.  
Little Rosie continues to grow and develop, and I'd like to mark the accomplishment that we haven't had to take her to the emergency room yet.  I'm certain she has a mission to send us all to the hospital.  One beach trip had to end early because she continually insisted on walking right out into the ocean.  She climbs to the top of Summer's bunkbed every chance she gets and her favorite game is peek-a-boo in a dresser that is made to pinch her little fingers off.  Yet she continues to charm us all with that come-and-get-me grin and for the most part she is a great sport on all our adventures even when she is totally over it.  
She continues to be obsessed with Elias and gets jealous in the worst way if he holds, let alone pays attention to anyone else.  She loves him something fierce.  
She is such a sweetheart and the best cuddlebug.  She will walk up and hug just about everyone.  

Joy has pulled out all the stops in the drama department.  She is fierce and fiery and crazy funny.  She continues to love to bake and make unicorn versions of everything (by adding pink food coloring and sprinkles).  She can turn a fit on and off so quickly, it literally gives me the chills.  She had had it when we were peach picking and seemed to be dead set on burning the orchard down.  Luckily a piggyback ride and the promise of a show on the drive home can fix just about any injustice in her world.  Fingers-crossed for when it doesn't.  But how I love this little fireball.  She will do great things.  
 One morning Boyd went into the powder room and I heard him exclaim to himself, "Awe, new soap!  How lovely!"  A few seconds later I heard a huge sigh, and then, "I love that smell".  He is such a sweet kid and has a tender soul.  He is naturally physical and playing in large groups is a challenge for him, so he has blossomed this summer.  He has enjoyed playing quietly with his legos or even just relaxing in his bed to "think about stuff".   He is the king of sand castles and can turn on the drama when trying new foods (but he always tries it).  One morning he kept calling me downstairs while I was giving Rose a bath; I came down to discover that he had made me breakfast (20 minutes earlier).  After we tuck him in at night he often sneaks into our room to fall asleep.  One evening we didn't notice him when we came up to bed and I freaked out upon seeing him the next morning. 
Smith is always up for a party.  He loves forts and one rainy day requested that I read Harry Potter while they make play-doh creations.  He loves science and checked out a book of science experiments that has kept us busy all summer.  He is constantly climbing on things; I'm pretty sure he's half squirrel.   
Summer has developed a love for reading and has devoured the American Girl doll books about Kaya the Native American.  She continues to have a love for the native people.  I am catching glimpses of pre-teen Summer and it makes me nervous.  She's growing up!  She's certain that the side-ponytail is the cutest and that all long shirts should be tied at the hip.  She loves both swimming and ice skating, and so has declared herself the "water girl".  
One weekend we were lucky enough to have the Walsers visit from Alaska!  I grew up with Mandy and Ian so it was such a kick to have our families spend time together.  
One weekend Elias took Boyd and Smith to DC to join my dad for a boys weekend.  They had a blast riding the train, going to museums, doing a ropes course and seeing a play.  (Hearing them explain the play "Mulan" to me was comical.)
I convinced my mom to come join the girls party!  We partied hard as we danced, ate, shopped and carnivaled!
The big kids enjoyed an ice skating camp as well as a jedi training academy at the local library.  
We hosted a bit of a fail in the adult party arena.  We invited 30 couples to an ice cream party on National Ice Cream Day, only 9 couples responded, 7 of which said yes, and then 4 no-showed.  None the less, I think the six people that came enjoyed it!
We are told it was simply an unlucky fluke, but our sump pump was hit by lighting and our basement flooded.  The basement was covered in three inches of water and while it was an expensive headache for me and Elias, the kids had an absolute blast and Smith repeatedly declared it, "the best day of life".  
Elias took a few days off one week and we headed out to Pennsylvania.  We visited an awesome little pretzel factory and then met up with Chelsea and Corie and their families for a few days of fun at Great Wolf Lodge.  The kids had a blast!
Hope all is well with you and yours,
Brittany et al.

No comments: