January 2017

Dear friend,

I was determined that 2017 would be a year of health, but we sure didn't start off well.  
Everyone got sick this month.  
Joy had RSV and broke out in a rash all over, but luckily we were able to keep her home and didn't have to go to the hospital.    
And though there were some sweet sickness cuddles, I pray that everyone will stay healthy for the rest of the year.
We were able to squeeze in some fun though.  
One Friday night we made s'mores over the stove and went camping in the living room.  
 One Saturday we covered a shower curtain in shaving cream and let the kids "ice skate".  
 It turned into a foam party, 
 and we all had a blast!
 These kiddos crack me up.  
Another Saturday we drove down to Albuquerque to explore some petroglyphs.  
Joy was a darling little hiker.  
 Smith is on a Spiderman kick and insists on wearing hooded shirts backward so that he can spontaneously throw the hood over his face and strike a Spiderman pose.  It's pretty darling and hilarious unless we are hiking up a mountain.  
And we finally got some decent snow!
 The kids had fun working 
and playing with Daddy.  
 
 One mommy-win worth mentioning...I had bought a pack of go-gurts from Sam's Club and no one would touch them because they didn't like the cartoon characters on the wrappers.  So I emptied them all into a tupperware, called it "rainbow yogurt", and they ate it all up!
We enjoyed a few parties this month.  
Elias brought balloons home from work and we had a little impromptu party.  
 One Saturday morning we let Daddy sleep in and Summer was determined we throw him a surprise party.  She asked me to make french toast while the kids made a banner that said, "We love our Daddy Party".  
The kids' fort-building game has been strong this month.  The following fort pictures are just over two days.  We have had forts in the boys' room, 
in the playroom, 
under the tramp, 
in the tent, 
and in the living room.  (I think this one was my favorite, it was declared the "#1 Reading Club" and the kids sat in there reading for an hour and a half.)
 Summer started ballet this month and absolutely loves it.  She is the most dedicated, focused, 5-year old ballerina I have ever seen.  The other kids and I watch her for a few minutes and then go on an adventure of our own which I have really enjoyed.  
We love having Summer around.  She is definitely the ring-leader and for the most part the boys really like it.  But it's also fun to watch different dimensions of their personalities come out when she isn't around.   
She is so creative.  One day she walked into the kitchen like this and said, "Mom, I really hurt my head, but don't worry.  I took care of it."
 Joy continues to capture our hearts.   
She was such a trouper through her sickness and she's totally obsessed with her siblings.  
 She loves hanging out with the big kids and gets to excited when we pick them up from school.  
Oh, how we love her!
 The boys (especially Boyd) have really enjoyed cooking with me.  We've had some great memories and some epic messes.   
The rest of the month was spent helping sick kids feel better, 
exploring Snapchat, 
 goofing around,  
 going to the library, 
 trying new foods,  
 trying new hair-dos, 
 
a few epic games of hide-and-go-seek.   
and walks in the rain on a Sunday afternoon when everyone gets a little stir crazy.
 This month was pretty much the status quo (which unfortunately has involved being sick).  There were no epic trips or major stories, but I sure do love our life.  These kiddos keep life fun!  Hope all is well with you and yours.  

Love,
Brittany et al.

2 comments:

Laura said...

It's a great report! Other than the sickness. Poor baby. McKenna is our ring leader and the younger ones tend to not know what to do when she's not around to "direct" them. ;) Ahh, the life of an oldest sister. :) Those forts are pretty spectacular as well!

Hksedwick said...

We are in the midst of a puke filled weekend. And I was beginning to feel like it was my fault... that I was doing something wrong as a parent. So I'm sorry that your family's been sick too but it did make me feel like I'm not the only one. we are in the midst of a puke filled weekend. And I was beginning to feel like it was my fault that I was doing something wrong as a parent. So I'm sorry that your family's been sick too but it did make me feel like I'm not the only one