January 2020

Dear friend,
We enjoyed two great movie nights this month.  
Joy continues to crack us up.  
Summer's creativity continues to grow.  One day she made us an amazing scavenger hunt and another day she made a turntable.
Boyd and Smith continue to grow and love reading.  
We continue our monthly dinners with Vivian,
and continue to have deliciously wonderful moments as a family.  
One night I joined some friends to go see "Little Women".  I love having great women in my life!  I love good friends, my sisters, my mom, and my daughters!
We had a few medical adventures this month.  Elias had both a colonoscopy and meniscus surgery.  I had a bout with vertigo for the first (and hopefully last) time.  It was horrible and I couldn't stop throwing up each time I moved so Rose started attempting to throw up as well.  To add to that, Smith woke up one morning unable to move his leg.  Apparently it's called synovitis when a virus causes temporary inflammation in the hip making movement really painful.  Gratefully, all have healed and all is well.  
One day I picked up Joy from preschool to find my parents there!  They totally surprised me as Elias swept me away to New York City for a night!  We had a great time (and though I was so excited to get a full night's sleep at the hotel, the fire alarm went off followed by an announcement that it was a mistake repeatedly from 4:30-6:30am.) None the less, I love being with Elias.  
It finally really snowed and we all loaded up to go sledding.  Rose insisted she was big enough to join in on the fun this year and she loved it as much as the rest of us (once she got all her gear on).  
Elias' boss came into town from South Africa not realizing that it was MLK day, so we found ourselves hosting him along with some other co-workers for lunch.  Since I made lunch, I had them play Pie Face as well as some Minute-to-Win-it games.  Everyone was a really good sport!
A friend gave us a huge box of grapefruit and we've enjoyed lots of culinary adventures including grapefruit frozen yogurt and sorbet.  
But I have to say, that the majority of January 2020 was spent chasing after dear Rose.  She can strip down in a matter of seconds.  One day Elias left his work shirt downstairs (after quickly stripping it off the night before when Rose was coming at him with spaghetti covered hands) and she insisted on wearing it around her shoulders the entire morning.  She loves him so fiercely.  It's an obsessive, jealous, passionate, kind of love.   
She also loves spaghetti.  
And reading herself to sleep lately.  
One afternoon I found her in the attic having turned on the television.  And after one foolish "fun mom" move of letting her use the cart at Trader Joe's, I am now ruined.  She kicks and screams if she is not pushing her own cart and don't you dare try to influence where she will go.  
One day she insisted on a piece of toast and as soon as I turned on the toaster she popped out one of my airpods and tossed it in.  Luckily it still works.  
In an attempt to explain to my sisters what my day is like, I took pictures of every time I had to move her over a five minute period.  This is FIVE MINUTES of my life.  And it is on repeat.  All. Day. Long.  
She is such a blast, but it is crazy.  I am on life watch.  
One day she was pulling out all the stops...in addition to other things, she destroyed my organized laundry room and after taking her off the counters for the 20th time I finally put all the stools on top of the counter.  One minute later I walked into the room to find her like this...
At dinner that night I was telling the big kids of all my "Rosie Adventures" and we had a good laugh.  (They laughed a lot harder than I did.)  The next morning I walked downstairs to discover that they made me breakfast and wrote me a love note because things had been so hard the day before.  It was one of my proudest moments as a mom and I am so grateful to call them mine.  I love these kids!  All of them!  I'm so grateful to be their mom.  
 Always,
Brittany et al.

No comments: