April is a blur. Rose and Joy are putting me through the ringer.
Rose is wonderful, messy, active adventurer.
She loves sunglasses, cuddling, and putting things in her mouth.
Joy is as independent as they come.
She loves her best friend Bennet,
dancing,
playing with chalk,
and any kind of vaseline or lotion. (Here is a picture of when she discovered a bottle of my foundation. Her entire body is covered with it.)
Joy and Rose are good little buddies throughout the day while the big kids are at school.
My dear, wonderful Grandmother Marjorie Sarager passed away. I am so grateful Elias and I were able to fly out to Phoenix to celebrate her life with my family and cousins. Here are a few memories of her:
Oh, how I love "Fancy Grandmother" as Summer adoringly refers to her. My childhood memories of her are filled how beautiful she smelled and how perfect her nails looked and soft her hands were. She was so charming and had always had a quick, witty comeback. I remember the many little gifts and notes she would give us. She loved giving gifts! One time I helped her clean out her garage and we found over one hundred little cardboard boxes (perfect for little gifts).
During one of her visits when I was about 8, we stopped by my dad's office to say hello and then she walked us across the parking lot to a mid-day showing of "FernGully". It felt so deliciously indulgent to go to the theater with her. She bought us popcorn! From the theater! (And a diet coke for herself of course.) In later years, when I would take my kids to visit her, we always took her to a mid-day movie.
She always made me feel so special. I loved the ghost that she hung in the hallway that lead to her apartment when she lived with Marty. I have wonderful memories visiting the Saragers in that home. Her home was beautifully decorated with memorabilia from her many adventures. I will always remember when she left on her mission. She served in both California and England (which of course, only added to her fanciness). She had a "Glamour Shots" style portrait taken before she left, and it was stunning. I was so proud to tell people that my grandmother was on a mission. I loved hearing her testimony and loved knowing that she was out there teaching people about the gospel she loved. I remember when she moved into her apartment in Lakeside. It all seemed so elegant. Her decor, the pool, the clubhouse, the immaculately manicured lawn. That apartment is filled with memories of Mr. Bean movies, peanut butter on sourdough toast, frozen grapes, and sliced bananas in orange juice. She always made me feel loved and welcome, and when we ran into her friends she always acted so proud to introduce me to them.
Once during middle school I was in my dad's office when Grandmother called. She checked in to see how he was doing and then ask how my mother was doing. She then told my dad to go buy my mother a new spatula and said goodbye. I thought that was so strange, but my dad just explained that Grandmother likes to know her daughter is still being well-taken care of. We went and bought my mother a spatula on the way home.
My junior year of high school, my friends and I took a road trip to visit her. She was such a gracious host and was determined we spend sometime with "cute boys" so she recruited many of my cousins to try to accomplish her goals. We spent a day with Grandmother and Frank and my friends and I all left totally "fan girls" of Grandmother. One moment that they all remind me of is when we were picking oranges and grapefruits and Grandmother put two in her shirt. We all laughed as she then announced that hers were more the size of cantaloupes. I visited twice on my own in college and I loved the one-on-one time that we got to spend together.
On one trip after my freshman year of college, she told me about her active study group and the many parties she would throw. I was so enchanted with these dinner parties that I left determined to throw some of my own. My sophomore year of college was filled with Grandmother-inspired parties, including a "mocktail party" in which formal attire was required, an 80's prom party, and a Christmas party. I love to think that I have some of her party-hosting blood is in me. I will always be grateful for the trip that my mom and I took out to see Grandmother my senior year of college with the intent to document her life before her 80th birthday. I loved driving around Phoenix seeing the places where she lived and hearing her stories. I was captivated by the stories of her childhood.
I have always been proud to be a woman and I've always partially attributed that to my grandmother. Grandmother loved being a woman and everyone knew it. She took pride in the way she looked and often spoke of the love in her marriage. Though I never met my grandfather, I loved him through Grandmother's stories. He was handsome and strong. He was funny and passionate. She said they would fight with passion and make up with even more. Though she dated other men after his death, Grandmother always said that after Johnny any other man would never do so she never remarried. Some of my favorite lines from Grandmother from when I got married are: "You should never look married. You should always look so attractive that men are heartbroken when they notice you're wearing a wedding ring,” “it’s just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as a poor one,” “my feet are as important as my breasts,” “garments were designed to show a little cleavage,” and my favorite, "When your husband comes home from work you should either be wearing nice clothes or no clothes at all." She loved Betty Boop.
Grandmother is my favorite example of living gracefully. She was a beauty and always took pride in the way she looked. She found joy in each stage of her life and even as she aged, she accepted change gracefully. Whether it was losing the ability to drive or moving into a nursing home, she always chose to find beauty in each situation. I love her for her example and hope to emulate her in the way I live.
Many, many thanks to Jeannie and Kevin for watching the kids so we could celebrate her beautiful life!
Each April, the highlight is celebrating our favorite man.
He is my best friend and the most incredible dad.
We all hold our breath until he gets home from work and he makes every weekend a party!
He's also the best steamroller. I love you E.
Our big kids are growing up! Summer is loving her yoga class and has really shown an interest in cooking lately.
Boyd always has a plan to take care of things and is up for a wrestling match at the drop of a hat.
Smith consistently comes home twice as dirty as everyone else, but he finds the most amazing (trash) treasures.
All of them participated in the school's recycling art show.
They all love their art teacher, Mrs. Christie.
We took them to a wool course at the nature center and they all got into it.
All three of them completed their first mile-long Spartan Race.
We are so proud that they tried their very best.
Over Spring Break we spent a few glorious days in Boston with Gram and Grandpa.
We enjoyed riding the T, going to the children's museum, the aquarium, an easter egg hunt, and especially just being with Gram and Grandpa.
Ages 1-3 years old is hard for me. With two in that stage right not, I have to admit I'm feeling really challenged. I kind of feel like five kids broke us. Doing fun things (like going out to dinner or going on trips) were hard with four kids but they still felt worth it. They often aren't worth it now. I like to think that I'm molting. My old shell just wasn't sufficient anymore so it had to come off. Now I'm exposed and dare I say fragile, but a new shell is forming. One that is stronger and more fitting for our life with five kids. (Yes, Smith is on a crab kick this week, and I've read more crabs books this week than normal, but I think the metaphor works.) And I sure love being a mom. I love these five little humans so much it hurts. They are so bright and fierce, so gentle and pure. I thank Heavenly Father each day for their precious souls and the chance to share my life with them. I pray that he is pleased with my efforts.
Elias snapped these pictures of me singing a song/playing a game with Joy and I hope this is how I'm remembered as a mom.
Love you all,Brittany et al.

No comments:
Post a Comment