March 2017

Dear friend,

This month began with crazy hair day at school.  Boyd takes life a little too seriously for such things, but Smith and Summer got a kick out of it.
Summer was bummed that we were out of town for Valentine's Day so one day during a playdate, her and her friend Elle hatched the idea to throw "A Little Extra Love Party".  They made decorations, games and invitations so I happily obliged in helping them throw it.
A dozen little girls never had so much pink fun at one time!
Summer is a fun party girl!  One morning she decided she just couldn't wait until his birthday on April 9th to celebrate Elias, so she threw a "We Love Daddy" party.  She made a banner, planned a menu and everything.  
Our friends invited us to celebrate pi day with them and the boys loved making banana pie.  

Summer thought up the idea of a "Pin the Cherry on the Pie" game for everyone to play.
The kids continue to amaze me with their creativity.  This is a juice bar they created one day while I was bathing Joy.  (Yes, all those bowls, cups, and more have juice in them!)
And though Elias and I didn't do a single thing to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the kids entertained themselves for two days straight with the thought of gold and leprechauns.  The collected all this "gold" and set it out for the leprechauns.  
They would sporadically come inside and update me on their new strategies and theories.  

We've had a slight robot obsession this month.  Especially Boyd.
And then there was the day that everyone was explorers. 
Summer came home from a friend's house raving about a baby cradle they had for their doll.  I assumed she would ask for one, but then she disappeared and came back with one made out of an oatmeal container.  She asked me to use hot glue and the goldfish container to raise it off the ground because "real baby cradles" are off the ground.  Her ingenuity inspires me.  
And he's going to be totally embarrassed that I posted this (though I'm pretty sure my friend Laura is the only one who still reads this - thanks Laura!), but I discovered this note one week when Elias was out of town for work.  Yeah, he's pretty hot.  But when I teased him about using the word "sensual" he said, "it wasn't my first choice, but I had to maintain the cadence."  Ha.  A true artist.
Speaking of signs, Summer has been really into making posters lately.  She will take a piece of paper, write a proclamation and post it somewhere for all to see.  This was one of my favorites.  (I believe that Adam and Eve were the first people on earth.  Jesus created the earth.  I also know that we have to follow God.  By: Summer)
One night we had our friends over for a little family olympics.  Every person in our family chose a competition to host as part of the olympics.  
Elias chose the Oreo contest, Smith chose the saltine eating contest, 
I chose mommy/son
and daddy/daughter relays, 
Summer chose a dance party (that's right - just a two song dance party) and Boyd chose the shaving cream contest.  
The kids covered their fathers' faces in shaving cream and then threw as many goldfish as they could at them.  It was a hit.  

My dear Smith has given me some grey hairs this month. 
I often have to call Elias and report the craziness to maintain my cool.  
Unfortunately my calls are often followed up with texts such as this: 
And even though he can't remember to be gentle for the life of him, Joy sure is crazy about him.  
They have a special bond.  


Joy absolutely loves her big siblings.  

And they love her.  
One day at the library they put on a puppet show for her.  

She was cracking up!  
Joy continues to live up to her name.  
She absolutely loves trying new foods. 
I am so grateful that I get to be her mommy. 
This month we enjoyed Spring Break.  I loved having my big kids around more for a week.  
We enjoyed sunny days at the park, 

running through fields, 
climbing trees, 
trying new foods, 
playing with Joy, 
playdates, 
more playdates, 
and even more bandaids.  
One day we had a friend over for shaving cream ice skating.  

They tried to rinse off in the sprinklers but quickly came to the conclusion that it isn't quite warm enough for that!
One day I took down the kids down to Albuquerque for a showing of "The Little Mermaid".  
It was actually kind of a proud mommy moment for me because not only did I take all four kids down there by myself, but they behaved well enough and I was happy enough to take them to the Children's Museum afterward.  
So that was a win all around.  
Our nights and weekends with Elias were filled with wonderful moments at the workshop, 
on hikes, 
and at the park. 
And lots of reading and cuddle time.  
One day we took the kids through a drive-thru car wash for the first time.  It was everything we could have hoped it would be.  
One weekend we took the kids on a more challenging hike.  We doubted ourselves when we saw the sign at the trailhead that read "Alternate Route, More Difficult".

It was about three miles and the kids were awesome.  
Summer and Boyd are quite competitive.  
They both love to be the leader and they are active explorers.  
Smith goes at his own pace.  He likes to notice, touch and often lick everything on the trail.  
And he always has at least one stick in his hands.  Always.  
JoyJoy loves being in the hiking backpack.  
She pretty much has a perma-grin anytime she is in Daddy's arms.  
But then again, don't we all.  

Much love,
Brittany et al.


8 comments:

Mary said...

Ok, it's not just Laura!! I L O V E your monthly updates. I think Smith and Spencer are two peas in a pod. Summer's crazy hair is awesome! Her party planning skills aren't definitely a product of her incredible mother. Elias seems to be a slave to his art... but perhaps he shouldn't quit his day job. ;)

I know I was pushing for a move East for you guys, but now I'm going to push for a move to Europe. Sound good? Works for me.
xoxox

big MAK said...

ME too! You are such a great mom and I love getting ideas from you on how to be more creative with the kids. Love and miss you guys! Come visit us soon.

Jeannie Erickson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannie Erickson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeannie Erickson said...

I look forward to your updates and love seeing you all so happy and productive. What a treat this is for me, especially as we do not get to see you guys often enough. I wish I would have had your example when Elias was a boy! Love you Mom J

Laura said...

Haha! Awesome shout out to me! Thanks dear! And hubba, hubba! What a steamy love note. ;) Your children's creativity inspires me too! Holy cow! And good for you hosting so many fun parties! You guys rock!

Nathan and Whitney Tanner said...

I read these every month and LOVE THEM!!! I love the updates, the stories, the craziness, and your amazingness! So happy to see you all doing so well. Love and miss you!

Hksedwick said...

I'm also a reader...just one month late! I've been thinking thatmaybe if I let Charlotte be more creative she would stop destroying our house. When I was reading about all the little parties that you let summer plan, I thought maybe I should be doing the same thing... but then when I got to the part about Smith I change my mind. I figure They'll mess up the house either way... I'm just gonna be lazy