We kicked the month off right, at our happy place once again.
This time we were able to talk our friends, the Foutzs into joining us!
We had a ton of fun in the lake,
boating, playing on the dock, and on the sandy beach.
When taking our friends to one of our favorite look-outs, Summer came out dressed like this with pencil and paper in hand and said, "I just have to bring something to draw on because I just have to draw the view. It is so beautiful!" And she did.
We napped, rode the tractor,
played games, crafted,
ate s'mores
and enjoyed some short hikes.
On the drive home we stopped by the Great Sand Dunes.
The weather was perfect. There wasn't much wind, it was warm but the sand was cool.
Smith took a while to warm up to it but Boyd jumped right in. I'm confident there is still sand in his ears.
Summer has just been bursting with personality this month.
One day when she was upset, she yelled at me, "I don't care about my brothers!" When we talked about it later I told her it made me feel sad to hear that.
Now when she gets really upset, she yells, "I care!"
I'll take it.
She loves Joy with extreme passion. She is gentle for the most part, but she comes at Joy with such aggressive excitement that we are constantly telling her to calm down and be gentle. When she is wrapped up in her over-whelming love for Joy, she will often cry out, "I just can't control my love!" (To be read like a deranged psychopath.)
One day I picked her up from school and asked her what she did that day. She responded, "I did the monkey bars seven times without touching the ground." Having helped her with the monkey bars at the park the day before I was skeptical and said, "Wow. Really? How did you do that?" She looked at me and said matter-of-factly, "I just used my muscles and believed in God." We went to the park that weekend and to my amazement, she could really do it! Go figure.
We go through paper like water here at craft station central. I often to through and transfer things into the recycling bin. One morning Summer looked in the bin and found a paper that she had brought home the day before from church. She gasped and said, "Mom! You can't throw this away! Jesus doesn't want me to hide my talents!" I hadn't even looked at the paper...this was it:
She is always making crafts and has been really into making signs lately. She often amazes me with how well she can sound out words. But one afternoon she had worked hard to make an obstacle course and Boyd just jumped in and started doing it. She didn't say anything, but stomped right over to the craft table to quietly sound out and make a sign that read, "Boyd I do not like it when you use my my stuff but we love you." She stomped right back over to him and held the sign in front of him. "What?" he asked, totally confused. She shook the sign in front of him. "This is for you." Boyd looked at her, looked at the paper, looked at me, looked back at Summer and said, "Go put it on the fridge." He then went back to jumping around the obstacle course as Summer's jaw hit the floor, totally baffled that he didn't respect the sign.
The other day we were headed out for "Fun Friday" to go out to lunch with Elias and go to the library. Everyone was throwing fits and hitting, so when we got in the car the lecture began. I explained to them how we don't have to do fun things, and we won't do them unless their attitude changes. Summer interupts me to say, "Mom, I think I'm feeling the spirit." Well I certainly wasn't at the moment, so I ignored her continued and explain to them that if they can't change their attitudes that we can turn right around so they can all be grouchy in their rooms for the rest of the day. When I had said my peace, there was a moment of silence before Summer excitedly announced, "I am Mom! I am definitely feeling the spirit!"
The most laughs have come from her circus gymnastics. I really think it is a great organization and she is more coordinated that when she began. But it really is pretty hippie. It looks like this
and is run by 5 or 6 fit, tan, women in their fifties wearing midriffs and gypsy pants.
One Saturday we were downtown at the Pet Parade, a totally small town parade in which schools and organizations participate and everyone walks with their pets. Suddenly a new group comes down the parade route. It is motley group of kids ages 7-17. Some are dressed like clowns, some are on stilts, some are on unicycles and a few are caring a large, creepy marionette face with long, silk arms and paper mache hands that are three feet large. I see Elias' eyes widen as he whispers to the universe "What is that?"
I whisper back, "That's what your daughter does from 3-4 every Tuesday afternoon."
As if that didn't rock his reality enough, just then a boy walks up on stilts and yells, "Hi Summer!" She responds, "Hi Indigo!"
I watch Elias mouth the name to himself, "Indigo..."
I've been crushing on my boys lately.
Once we get past the danger that comes with his fierce love for Joy, it is totally beautiful. He can't help himself when she is in the room.
He continues to love playing games, getting wet, and being chased and tickled.
And his love for his cars only strengthens with time.
He is constantly lining them up or bagging them one by one.
And Joy, sweet Joy!
We can't get enough of her!
She is so happy and so flexible.
She is so patient with the big kids and is now sleeping in Summer's room!
We've had dance parties in the car,
lunch dates with Daddy,
and relaxing afternoons in the pool.
We went to the children's museum,
made signs,
pets,
and trains.
There were laughs,
fights,
and drama,
but Joy and I love hanging out with these three adventurers!
Summer always wants to match Joy, which often means she requests a crown braid so their hair can match too.
One of my dreams came true this month. Our house is on the end of a cul-de-sac and when we moved in three years ago, I dreamed of the day that Elias and I would sit out on the driveway and watch our kids all ride bikes around the cul-de-sac. It was pretty perfect.
Another funny story to mention...
Our neighborhood is basically a retirement community and many of our neighbors are serious gardeners. One sweet lady has come by every summer and given me a pot(s) of flower starters from her garden so I can improve my own. Even though I would never admit it to my neighbor, I have never taken the time to transfer the flowers. Gardening hasn't been high on my list these last three years. Well, this summer when she handed me the pot, she said, "Here are some flower starters, I know you never get around to planting them. So just enjoy their beauty until you let them die and then please give me the pot back." Okay.
The month concluded with Styrka II.
This year they enjoyed a mountain triathlon,
braved a paintball war,
and hiked a 14'er in below zero temperatures.
And as always, they threw logs,
hurled rocks,
enjoyed inspiring talks,
and great food.
We love this guys so much!
Styrka takes a lot of work, but I'm so grateful he takes the time to do something like this in his life. I think it promotes goodness in our small slice of the world. It strengthens men, husbands and fathers. Between family, work, and church, Elias doesn't have much time for himself so I'm glad he takes a weekend to go throw rocks around with good friends.
Much love,
The Ericksons



































































1 comment:
That circus story from the parade is hilarious! And that Stryka weekend sounds so masculine! Love those babies of yours! Thanks for sharing all your great stories!
Post a Comment